Parkour Summer Camp with Game Design!
From day one, students will be immersed in the study and practice of game design, systems thinking, and, of course, parkour! Over the course of the week they will learn not only what makes a game great, but also how to lay the groundwork to create a game of their own. Students will engage in movement, design, discussion, and play-testing. By the end of the week each group will showcase a game they designed that not only is fun to play, but also gets its players stronger, faster, and fitter!
Columbus Circle, Central Park
$600 / week
(10% off for you and a friend you refer when they register!)
The Program in depth
This is a week-long, full-day summer camp, appropriate for ages 7-13 and all levels of parkour experience.
Parkour & Fitness
As in all of our camps, kids will learn or hone their movement and fitness skills through independent physical challenges and collaborative games. Students will:
- Learn or hone parkour fitness skills (e.g. climbing, balancing, vaulting, jumping and swinging) from top-rated parkour coaches in the USA
- Experiment with new and challenging movements
- Apply and test their skills on their own and as a team in a variety of exciting settings.
The special project this week will have students designing their OWN exciting, new parkour games. Students will:
- Learn to use systems thinking practices to dissect, study, and understand what makes a great game
- Use these discovered game design principles to then generate their own designs for games that are not just fun to play, but that help all participants get stronger, quicker and more agile.
- Play-test out dozens of games with their peers and provide feedback
- Showcase their game to the public and walk away with the completed design!
1) WHAT DO WE NEED TO WEAR/BRING?
- Bagged lunch
- Draw-string bag and water bottle.
- Wear gym clothes and sneakers (may get dirty);
- Water-resistant clothes and raincoat for wet days. Suntan lotion for sunny days!
- Health Specific Needs: If your child has any health issues, allergies, or diet concerns, let us know.
We’ll provide snack and appropriate substitutions if requested.
2) WHERE AND WHEN IS DROP-OFF AND PICKUP?
Drop-off is at 8:45am daily at a park close to the Manhattan terminal of the Governor's Island Ferry (here's a map of the meeting spot). The group will start their day in that park, then take the 10am ferry to Governor's Island. Pick-up is at the same location, 5pm daily.
3) HOW DO YOU ENSURE SAFETY?
We teach every move as a progression, showing students how to build on skills in a logical way and offering guidance to correct errors. Aside from scrapes and bruises, our camps have a perfect injury-free record. Coaches are first-aid/CPR certified and carry a first aid kit. Check out our reviews on Yelp.
4) WHAT IF IT RAINS?
With attention and discipline, we safely train movement in any conditions. We’re comfortable continuing with drizzle/light rain/scattered showers and will go to a covered outdoor location in the park in the event of thunderstorms. Please make sure your child is dressed appropriately for the weather.
5) WHAT IS YOUR CANCELLATION POLICY
Unfortunately we can not offer a refund for cancellations.